About This GameMK is back and better than ever in the next evolution of the iconic franchise.
The Mortal Kombat 11 Standard Edition includes:
• Main Game
The all new Custom Character Variations give you unprecedented control of your fighters to make them your own. The new graphics engine showcases every skull-shattering, eye-popping moment, bringing you so close to the fight you can feel it. Featuring a roster of new and returning Klassic Fighters, Mortal Kombat’s best-in-class cinematic story mode continues the epic saga over 25 years in the making.
- OS: 64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 10
- Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen™ 3 1200, 3.1 GHz
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 670 or NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1050 / AMD® Radeon™ HD 7950 or AMD® Radeon™ R9 270
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
– Tutorial system is excellent. It provides detailed, structured explanations to bring you up to a decent level.
– Graphics are fantastic!
– Game-play is phenomenal, the flow of combat is extremely satisfying and smooth way better then MK-X.
– Fatalities are insane, the best in the series hands down!
– Sound design is excellent, punches and kicks sound satisfying alongside all the other weapons. Music could be a bit better however you rarely even focus in on it in the heat of combat so it’s not such a big deal.
– Varied framerates. 30 FPS in the Main Menu, Fatalities, Fatal Blows and Kritical Strikes and Krypt whereas the rest of the game runs at 60 FPS. This can sometimes be a bit jarring however I, for the most part, don’t even notice it and in my opinion it does not detract from the flow of the game.
– Krypt: An excellent premise however the randomisation of loot and extremely expensive chests (13,000 for anything half decent) makes it so that you rarely get anything you want, with most of the rewards being items for the forge and challenge tower consumables rather than costumes and gear. Another thing to point out is that some items in the Krypt require currencies to use, mainly Kenshi’s headband that requires orbs (which are used for crafting in the Krypt and are rather scarce to begin with) and eats them up at a rate of roughly 2 per second which is absolutely absurd! You get a large sum of Koins to begin with however once they’re gone, and they go quickly mind you as everything is so expensive!, you have to spend an eternity to amass even a small amount! Not to mention the fact that YOU HAVE TO SPEND KOINS TO RESTOCK THE CHESTS IN THE KRYPT!!! as once you’ve opened them they don’t refresh!
– Challenge towers. Sadly these once fun towers have been massacred by a horrid system that gives the AI unfair advantages, so much so that you are forced in some cases to use consumables (that you earn in the Krypt via RNG) to even the playing field. Which no doubt will be sold in the store at some point. The fact that the AI has the advantage of not only upping it’s difficulty setting but also giving it modifiers such as bonus damage or acid rain that eats at your health makes the towers a chore to complete. This system in my opinion is absolutely rancid and I have no idea who in their right mind thought it was a good idea.
– Kustomisation: An absolute tragedy of a system, apparently borrowed from Injustice 2 (although I have never played it so cannot confirm) this system makes it so that you have to level up the gear that you wear in order to slot in stones that modify your characters stats in some way, be it bonus damage with a certain move or resistance to certain types of damage. Doesn’t sound too bad right? WRONG! You have to level up EACH PIECE OF GEAR, so if you equip a new helmet you’re back to square ONE!!! Also guess where all the gear/stones and skins are unlocked? That’s right! the Krypt, so you have to spend HOURS grinding for Koins in order to even have a CHANCE at getting a piece of gear you want. Also you have to have the correct stone for the correct slot in that gear making the chances of having a matching set of stones for your gear EVEN SMALLER!!!
– Story. A crippling issue of audio video de-sync has ruined all enjoyment of the story. It’s so bad that I stopped after the first fight. I’d like to note that changing the in-game setting all to their lowest settings HAD NO EFFECT!! and I do not know how to fix this. Such as shame as what I did get to experience was brilliant! But I cannot continue as it completely ruins the immersion.
Note: I have not had any connections issues or random crashes that other people have experienced however that’s not to say these issues do not occur.
As a final verdict, which i hope will change in the future, I would NOT recommend that you purchase this game and it absolutely pains me to say that. But it’s clear this game has MAJOR issues with regards to it’s customisation/micro-transaction system and in my case a game breaking issue with the story. I would recommend that you wait until NR release a fix, hopefully sometime soon.
YOU UNLOCK HER AFTER LIKE 30 MINUTES IN THE STORY MODE
The game also constantly crashes in the menus, sure it doesn’t crash during gameplay, but the point still stands.
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW
Story Mode: It’s alright, though I wish they would give more rewards for completing it
Online: What was promised (custom variatons) was delivered only partially (no custom variations in ranked) and they removed most of the mix ups from the game and slowed down the speed of the game.Some might love it, some might not but it is what it is.
Offline content: Now here is the main problem of the game. They said that there will be no lootboxes but turns out it’s even worse.60$ game is treated as a Free to Play with it’s endless grind and RNG.The Krypt that was supposed to be a fun and interactive way to obtain cosmetic items was turned into some ungodly child of greed and absolutely no respect for the player.Countless amounts of boxes that contain useless random crap, like icons and materials instead of gear, demotivate me to play this game.Want to do anything? Pay up with one(or several) of ten currencies that we’ve created and that you have to grind for.And where do you get those currencies? That’s right, in Towers Of Time or some crap. So the basic premise is that it’s a formation of one or several towers that you have to clear out to get rewards(which are not even worth the effort most of the time).Sounds easy enough,right? Wrong! Not only AI has from 150% up to 400% hp there is always some♥♥♥♥♥♥ on the screen that constantly stuns you or knocks you down.How do you fight this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t? With your own ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t and these ones are called Consumables.That’s right, straight out of some mobile MMORPG.The end result is an uninspiring grind in frustrating matches against an AI that just fills the screen with projectiles (some if which are unblockable btw) and stage hazards.Oh and the best part is the amount you get for all your trouble is like 20K while a single chest in The Krypt costs like 5-10K and I’m not even talking about other currencies like soul koins,blood koins and items that you need to open certain doors.Obtaining gear in this game is a chore and in no way entertaining and does not teach you how to be better at the game, instead it teaches you to buy your way to victory with cheap stuff and spam.Thank you for the lesson.Oh and you get almost no money from online,other modes and even custom AI that has only one purpose(to FARM for you) nets you almost nothing.You can see that there was a lot of effort put into creating those cosmetics,brutalities and fatalities but sadly it’s hidden behind a wall of grind.Things like that demotivate me to play these game or even support it.
So do I recommend this game? No, business practices like this have no place in fully priced fighting games.Feels like devs wanted to add lootboxes but after the backlash that Battlefront 2 got, they pulled out lootboxes but the whole system was already built around it.NRS usually listens to the their fans and I hope they will do so again.You should keep your money untill they fix this mess of a game.
The game also crashes here and there in the menus, which can cause data loss.
Until all these things are fixed (and let’s be honest, they never will be), I cannot recommend this. It’s a shame, because I like the story and the core fighting mechanics are good.
Edit: To the past and future rеtаrds in the comments: I have a i7, 32GB, 1080Ti. The game crashes on the same places IN THE MENU as the Nintendo Switch version. It’s a bug in the game.
The port is not horrible as MKX however:
Everything other than the fights is locked at 30 fps even the Fatalities, Krypt, Crushing Blows which hurts my eyes.
The microtransactions are horrible, for a 60$ game this is unacceptable, If you dont want to spend money on the krystals you have to grind more than in free to play games.
I will not refund yet, I am waiting to see what the "patch" will do and If It wont fix these issues refund is on the way.
So, yea, having watched Maximilian D00D for like 10 hours, he was hype, I was hype, my friend was hype. And then the hype died and was replaced with disappointment.
The Krypt, which they’ve said they are going to patch to address the grind, is literally a predatory practice. Multiple forms of kurrency and the amount you gain is vastly inferior to the costs required. Intentionally making something terrible & then going "oh sorry, we’ll fix it" then putting a bandage on it so it’s no longer ‘terrible’ but just ‘bad’ going "Hey look, we ‘fixed it’, we’re good guys!" while it’s still just frustrating enough to make you spend money… that’s the epitome of sleazy and predatory.
That’s their goal, look like good guys fixing something they intentionally broke, making you spend money on top of the $60/$100 you spent to buy the game (of which the content you are buying w/ these MTX is in the game, so you already paid for it)
Here’s a quick example: 90% of the ‘heart’ boxes shown on stream, cost /250/ hearts to open, each. You earn… 1 heart per fatality & 2 hearts per brutality. While exploring the Krypt, you can occasionally find bodies hanging in the world & they may have 1-2; It’s about the same timeframe as a kombat & brutalizing opponent. So you are looking at a 3-5 minute fight for one-two hearts & you need 250… just to open one box & it has /random/ contents. You may not even get anything you want, or that is usable for your character. Which is a whole other layer of RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG (lootboxes, to get random stuff, and even if it’s gear, it has random slots for the augments, which are also random)
Now lets throw in ‘filler’ items. There are 3 sets of icons for your variations, black/gold/red & there are 30 each, so that’s 90 icons. I don’t know how many kombat kard borders/backgrounds there are, but icons? If you have Shao Kahn, that’s 2250 filler items in your Krypt item pool, on top of like 30 different konsumables for the towers, & like a dozen krafting materials; And those icons? You can get duplicates, so even if you get one from a box, you can still get another.
The kombat in the game? Really nice, fighting is actually good and stands up to past games. You will enjoy when you actually get a fair fight. The Story? Pretty epic. Actual single player content post-story? Absolutely frustrating, designed to make you spend money to bypass or speed it up. NRS & WB have gone out of their way to try & milk the game as a quick cashcow & are making themselves look like the good guy by saying they’re looking into ‘fixing’ the intentionally terrible grind they created.
The Towers of Time are rotating random lootboxes. I say this because they are super difficult and you don’t always know what the new tower will hold when it rotates in. Have to hope it is something you want. And if it is? Good luck beating the extremely unfair mutators unless you have a ton of farming done for Konsumables to counteract… or you know, you could just buy (eventually, it’s disabled right now as of this review, I wonder why :thinking:) a ‘Skip Token’ to do as it says, skip the fight but get credit for it. Makes the towers an up-and-coming lootbox as you’ll be too frustrated and unable to just power through to get your stuff, and buy with real money, the bypass.
Lets look at Graphics. The game is and is not FPS locked. The Krypt? 30FPS lock, other parts? 60FPS lock. It doesn’t feel good when it flips through like that. If we could smooth it out to a straight 60FPS for everything, it would do wonders. Anti-Aliasing is sporadic as well and can be very distracting. As usual, a PC game ported from console doesn’t have all the same options a ‘made for PC’ game does, and sacrifices were made, making this a poor adaption.
One of the Crashes to Desktop people are having? Apparently it’s related to the RGB keyboards. If you disable the option ingame to use the RGB colours, ta-dah! fixed (at least for a few friends who relayed this to me).
I cannot in good conscious recommend this. And the only reason I didn’t refund immediately, is because you have to own the game here on Steam to post these reviews.
-With hope the harsh backlash will make WB Games and NRS realize they have another Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and IJ2 on their hands and actually apologize and fix it, not this canned ‘We made it terrible, we’ll make it less terrible to be the fake good guys’ that is currently going on. Microtransactions are destroying the single player post-story enjoyment, and the pure RNG is making it unfun to unlock things. Graphically the game is inferior to the consoles, but hey, we don’t double-dip for online access like the 3 consoles (not a fair trade at this point).
2. Rotating shop
3. Impossible battles without using consumables
Please add the 5th pillar – ads. Cover the top half of my screen with an ad banner and I want every round to be randomly interrupted at least 6 times by a non-skippable 15 seconds video ad (You can use the Lamborghini guy ad to make me want to punch my opponent in the face even harder).
Why I can’t go to the shop and buy the exact skin I want?
The post processing effects make the graphics look worse than MK X. The input in the menu doesn’t recognize my clicks, I can only go to the cosmetics and then select the other modes from the top.
If this game was free to play and made by indie developers with 5 months of experience, I would give it 4/10, now I don’t really know what to say…
Even if they make it slightly less bad it’ll still be bad, but we’ll see what they do.
A common tactic nowadays tho is to make it REALLY bad at launch and then ” fix it ” by making it just slightly less bad to fool people into thinking that they’re being the good guys and that it isn’t as bad as people think that it is.
Why do I have to even unlock the option to not wear a mask?
Why is EVERYTHING locked except for the default costume? Including fluff like intros, outros, masks, etc and then they pad it out with throwing in stuff like concept art, music etc on top of having to unlock colors individually just to make the grind longer ( and don’t even get me started on the augments and all that in the Towers ).
This isn’t a F2P mobile game, stop treating it like it is.
Secondly, the game crashes after a while without any errors.
There have been a lot of issues with the launch and I dunno if they’ll solve it soon but still…
Edit: Also, I don’t appreciate the way that Steve Beran talked about the female characters from past games and how they referred to them as ” trashy and not respectable ”.
I really can’t stand this whole idea that women who don’t look and dress like nuns are ” ♥♥♥♥♥ ” and it’s really sad to see it being so normalized and be pushed in the industry atm.
What angers me especially about it is that in one of the Tower endings they blatantly sexually objectify ( as in the actual meaning of the term, and not just ” hurr durr skimpy outfit ” ) one of the female characters.
So they get up on some high horse about it in the marketing and claim to be ” more respectful ” etc, but then they blatantly sexually objectify and disrespect one of their main female characters?
That’s ♥♥♥♥ed up.
To be clear, I am not referring to a skimpy costume as sexually objectifying.
That’s not sexual objectification in and of itself, I am referring to the framing of the painting in the ending which is very deliberate from the developers and is a clear-cut case of sexual objectification and the male gaze.
Again… As in the actual definition of these words, and not how hyperbolic tumblerinas and pop-Feminists use it.
But as in how it was originally meant to be defined when the terms were created.
If they want to moralize about this then I have to judge their game and what they do based on what they themselves say.
And that ending genuinely shocked me and made it very clear that they’re not being serious about this and that they don’t understand these issues and are only using the issues to try and pander for some quick PR from certain outlets.
It’s lazy, disingenuous and really upsets and disappoints me tbh.